Monday, September 14, 2009

So...

Well hello!!

Yes, I know, I know... it's belated but I'm still figuring out this whole blogosphere. Don't tell anyone but I actually borrowed 'Blogging for Dummies' at the library today lol.

As you may know I'm currently writing a book called 'Aura' (read 'About Me' for a blurb if you didn't know). Today I think I pooped myself - and enjoyed it!!

I'm currently on a mission to hack down the manuscript from 121 500 words to... well anything below that really. I'm currently sitting on 110 500 (but I've got two editions going, one on the laptop the other on PC because I just love making life difficult for myself). I'm happy with the progress as I don my mask and hack away with my trusty chainsaw but I realized getting rid of dodgy sentences, corny lines and over descriptiveness was not the answer. So by chapter six I basically went, ctrl+highlight to end of chapter... DELETE. Actually I think it was backspace. Then the pooping in the pants began. I was in the library too!! (Just so you know, I am speaking of metaphorical poo) I admit after editing the book four (FOUR!!) times in five months I was pretty set in my ways but something in my gut just made me go, you know what - screw it. It took some large, dangly cajones but I think it just may be what sells my novel!

Now of course I was sensible and backed up the chapter but lets forget about that. Regardless, I panicked. I hadn't written fresh material on the same subject in months. I automatically felt pressured to come up with something really good. As if by some total miracle... I think I did.


Basically what I'm trying to say to other writers out there is take a risk!! If you don't like it, fine, delete it (because you copied it first, right?) and go about your merry manuscript way as if nothing ever happened. But, to anyone who is aspiring to write (and finish) that book make a meal of your pride and try re-writing or fixing areas that could turn things into a more exciting direction. Of course you don't want to go too out there and mess up the plot and continuation and end up with a choose-your-own-adventure, but give your characters some options. This is also probably a really good idea if you end up with writer's block or are feeling insecure/nervous/generally crappy about your story. And if you don't no one has to know. Or you could be so impressed you could post it in your blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment